The Sleeper Stretch is an excellent maneuver to stretch the shoulder capsule and help increase the shoulder joint’s internal rotation (a motion many of us lack). The most common complaints we hear with these cases are difficulty reaching behind to unclasp a bra or reaching back to put on a coat sleeve.
- Begin in a side-lying position with your arm flexed in front of you and your elbow bent to 90 degrees.
- Maximally externally rotate the shoulder by trying to put the back of your hand on the mat.
- (Note: many people can perform this motion without any problems.)
- Next, maximally internally rotate your shoulder by trying to put the palm of your hand on the mat without moving the elbow.
- When you meet resistance, take your off-hand and apply pressure to the back of the wrist, 3 seconds at a time.
- Repeat for 2-3 cycles daily.
Whether seeking relief from chronic pain or simply aiming for optimal health, your Livonia chiropractor guides you every step of the way. Contact our office to schedule an appointment by Clicking Here or giving us a call today: 734-427-6333