The Curl Up Exercise is a staple for a healthy core and neck. It engages both the deep neck flexors of the cervical spine and the rectus abdominis of the core without straining the lower back like other exercises (i/e: sit up or crunch). Study after study links strong deep neck flexor muscles to decreased incidence of neck pain.
- Begin in a face-up position with knees flexed to 90
- Bend your elbows and place them in the small of the lower back
- Retract the chin inward, giving yourself a “double chin.”
- Curl up the torso while keeping the chin retracted, holding at the top position for 1-2 seconds, then return to the start position.
- This movement isn’t a sit-up or crunch. Your shoulder blades should maintain contact with the mat during the entire movement.
- When done correctly, you should feel the muscles engage in the core and deep in the neck.
Whether seeking relief from chronic pain or simply aiming for optimal health, your Livonia chiropractor guides you every step of the way. Contact our office to schedule an appointment by Clicking Here or giving us a call today: 734-427-6333