Low back pain can be debilitating and impact us in all aspects of life. Studies show nearly 80% of adults will experience back pain at some point.1 Many types of low back pain respond very well to extension-based movements. The press up is a great home exercise that may help ease some of these classifications of low back pain.
NOTE: If the back pain worsens while performing a set of this exercise, OR the symptoms traveling down your leg (if you have those symptoms) worsen, IMMEDIATELY stop the exercise. Let the doctor know about this at your next appointment.
- Begin in a face-down position on your stomach
- Put your hand on the ground near your chest, like a push-up
- Extend your arms, pressing the upper half of your body upwards while keeping your pelvis flat on the ground
- Hold in the up position for 1-2 seconds
- Slowly return to neutral
- Perform 10-15 reps at a time throughout the day
If the press up motion reduces the intensity of your back pain or causes your radiating symptoms to diminish, this is the best movement for you. Always be sure to follow up with a licensed healthcare provider if your symptoms continue to persist.
Whether seeking relief from chronic pain or simply aiming for optimal health, your Livonia chiropractor guides you every step of the way. Contact our office to schedule an appointment by Clicking Here or giving us a call today: 734-427-6333