The Sleeper Stretch is an excellent maneuver to stretch the shoulder capsule and help increase internal rotation of the shoulder joint (a motion that many of us lack). The most common complaints we hear with these types of cases are difficulty reaching behind to unclasp a bra, or difficulty reaching back to put on a coat sleeve.
- Begin in a side-lying position with your arm flexed in front of you, and your elbow bent to 90 degrees
- Maximally externally rotate the shoulder by trying to put the back of your hand on the mat
- (Note: many people will be able to perform this motion without any problems)
- Next, maximally internally rotate your shoulder by trying to put the palm of your hand on the mat without moving the elbow
- When you meet resistance, take your off-hand and apply pressure to the back of the wrist, 3-seconds at a time
- Repeat for 2-3 cycles daily